For District Office Custodians
If you plan to send your older records to Wood Street until their lifecycle is complete, please be sure to use the Archive Label Form located at http://www.maricopa.edu/surplus/links.php.
For All MCCCD Custodians
Following are the standardized retention and disposition schedules approved by the Arizona State Library, Archives and Public Records for Arizona Community Colleges and Districts. Although they have been categorized by functional group your records may cross functional areas. Be sure to check each category that might apply to the work you do. If you find that your records are not listed below, be sure to contact the Office of Public Stewardship so we can work with you to create a customized schedule and have it approved by the Arizona State Library.
Remember, you are only responsible for the records for which you or your department/division/area are custodian of. If someone else is considered the custodian of record for materials you have in your office and you are keeping copies for convenience then you are taking on the added responsibility for maintaining and disposing of those copies as the custodian would.
We have compiled a list of all records which must be maintained permanently for historical purposes. These are the only records which have been approved by the Arizona State Library, Archives and Public Records to be maintained forever. All other records have a definite date for dispersal/deletion, see below. If possible, these records may be scanned (into microfiche/microfilm) with an approved Imaging Request, signed by Teresa Toney (OPS) and the Arizona State Library. Questions can be directed to the Office of Public Stewardship, (480) 731-8882.
Pursuant to ARS §41-151.12, the retention periods listed herein are the minimum amount of time records may be kept. Keeping records for a time period shorter than their approved retention period is illegal. Records required for ongoing or foreseeable official proceedings such as audits, lawsuits or investigations must be retained until released from such official proceedings, notwithstanding the instructions of this schedule. If it is believed that special circumstances warrant that records should be kept for a shorter time than the time period listed in this schedule or that any of these records may be appropriate for transfer to the State Archives, please contact the Records Management Division to inquire about a change to the retention period. Only the Arizona State Library, Archives and Public Records has the authority to set records retention periods.
Public records, including electronic records, not listed in a schedule are not authorized to be destroyed.
- Administrative (approved March 6, 2012)
- Audit (approved July 3, 2012)
- Bond (approved April 24, 2012)
- Charter Schools (approved January 28, 2010)
- Child Care Program (approved August 20, 2008-custom)
- Copy Center and Mail Room (approved May 1, 2012)
- Curriculum Office (approved November 15, 2002)
- EEO/Affirmative Action (approved November 15, 2002)
- Election (approved July 10, 2012)
- Electronic Communications, Social Networking and Website (approved March 8, 2012)
- Environmental Quality Management and Sustainability (approved March 8, 2012)
- Equipment/Vehicle Services (approved March 15, 2012)
- Facilities/Grounds Management (revised March 3, 2011)
- Financial (approved March 26, 2014)
- Financial Aid (approved March 27, 2012)
- Human Resources/Personnel (approved October 1, 2014)
- Information Technology (IT) (approved May 1, 2012)
- Institutional Research (approved November 15, 2002)
- Law Enforcement (approved April 5, 2012)
- Library (approved March 8, 2012)
- Management (approved September 11, 2014)
- Medical (approved March 27, 2012); see also Public Health
- Office of General Counsel (approved November 7, 2007-custom)
- Public Health (approved April 20, 2012); see also Medical
- Public Information/Marketing (approved September 11, 2014)
- Purchasing/Procurement (approved August 30, 2011)
- Registrar (February 13, 2012); see also Undergraduate Admissions
- Student Housing (approved July 3, 2012)
- Student Records for School Districts and Charter Schools (approved August 30, 2011)
- Testing/Assessment Centers (approved October 24, 2007-custom)
- Undergraduate Admissions (approved February 13, 2012); see also Registrar
- Warehouse/Supply (approved April 20, 2012)
Printed Retention Schedules
Customized Schedules in Process
These functional areas have identified a need for a customized schedule.
Which records would be considered student records (protected by FERPA and not subject to disclosure) vs. operational records, which may already be defined in another schedule?
- Academic and Student Affairs
- Academic Affairs
- Adjunct Faculty Files
- Career Services
- Computer Lab
- Disability Services
- Fitness Center
- Instructional Support
- National Center for Teacher Education
- Small Business Development Center
- Veterans Services
Revised Schedule In Process, Pending Review
- Capitol Development Planning
- Facilities/Grounds Management
- Purchasing Procurement
- Risk Management