For District Office Custodians
If you plan to send your older records to Wood Street until their lifecycle is complete, please be sure to use the Archive Label Form located at https://business.maricopa.edu/surplus/maricopa-county-community-colleges-surplus-links.
For All MCCCD Custodians
Following are the standardized retention and disposition schedules approved by the Arizona State Library, Archives and Public Records for Arizona Community Colleges and Districts. Although they have been categorized by functional group your records may cross functional areas. Be sure to check each category that might apply to the work you do. If you find that your records are not listed below, be sure to contact the Office of Public Stewardship so we can work with you to create a customized schedule and have it approved by the Arizona State Library.
Remember, you are only responsible for the records for which you or your department/division/area are custodian of. If someone else is considered the custodian of record for materials you have in your office and you are keeping copies for convenience then you are taking on the added responsibility for maintaining and disposing of those copies as the custodian would.
We have compiled a list of all records which must be maintained permanently for historical purposes. These are the only records which have been approved by the Arizona State Library, Archives and Public Records to be maintained forever. All other records have a definite date for dispersal/deletion, see below. If possible, these records may be scanned (into microfiche/microfilm) with an approved Imaging Request, signed by Teresa Toney (OPS) and the Arizona State Library. Questions can be directed to the Office of Public Stewardship, (480) 731-8882.
Pursuant to ARS §41-151.12, the retention periods listed herein are the minimum amount of time records may be kept. Keeping records for a time period shorter than their approved retention period is illegal. Records required for ongoing or foreseeable official proceedings such as audits, lawsuits or investigations must be retained until released from such official proceedings, notwithstanding the instructions of this schedule. If it is believed that special circumstances warrant that records should be kept for a shorter time than the time period listed in this schedule or that any of these records may be appropriate for transfer to the State Archives, please contact the Records Management Division to inquire about a change to the retention period. Only the Arizona State Library, Archives and Public Records has the authority to set records retention periods.
Public records, including electronic records, not listed in a schedule are not authorized to be destroyed.
- Administrative and Management (new schedule supersedes #000-12-15 Administrative, signed March 6, 2012; GS1005 Management, signed September 11, 2014; revised August 26, 2016)
- Audit (approved July 3, 2012)
- Bond (approved April 24, 2012)
- Charter Schools (approved January 28, 2010)
- Child Care Program (approved August 20, 2008-custom)
- Clerks (approved December 24, 2015)
- Constables (approved March 2, 2016)
- Copy Center and Mail Room (approved May 1, 2012)
- Criminal History Record Information (for non-criminal justice use) (approved September 22, 2014)
- Curriculum Office (approved March 25, 2015)
- EEO/Affirmative Action (approved November 15, 2002)
- Election (approved July 10, 2012)
- Electronic Communications, Social Media and Website (approved March 8, 2012; revised December 24, 2015)
- Environmental Quality, Health, Management and Sustainability (approved March 8, 2012; revised July 1, 2016)
- Equipment and Vehicle Services (approved March 15, 2012; revised December 24, 2015)
- Facilities and Grounds Management (revised December 24, 2015)
- Financial (approved July 23, 2015)
- Financial Aid (approved March 25, 2015)
- Health and Medical (new schedule supersedes #000-12-28 Medical signed March 27, 2012 and #000-12-33 Public Health signed April 20, 2012; both schedules were combined and approved July 23, 2015; revised October 6, 2015)
- Human Resources/Personnel (approved October 1, 2014, revised July 18, 2016)
- Information Technology (IT) (approved May 1, 2012)
- Institutional Research (approved March 25, 2015)
- Law Enforcement (approved April 5, 2012, revised March 21, 2016)
- Library (approved March 8, 2012; revised December 24, 2015)
- Management (approved September 11, 2014; Administration and Management are combined, the new schedule is called Administrative and Management)
- Medical (approved July 23, 2015, Public Health and Medical are combined, the new schedule is called Health and Medical Records)
- Office of General Counsel (approved November 7, 2007-custom)
- Officials (approved July 13, 2015)
- Public Health (approved July 23, 2015; Public Health and Medical are combined, the new schedule is called Health and Medical Records)
- Public Information/Marketing (approved September 11, 2014)
- Purchasing/Procurement (approved August 30, 2011)
- Registrar (approved March 25, 2015); see also Undergraduate Admissions
- Risk Management (approved May 18, 2016, revision September 9, 2016)
- Sales Tax (approved December 24, 2015)
- Student Housing (approved March 25, 2015)
- Student Records for School Districts and Charter Schools (approved August 30, 2011)
- Testing/Assessment Centers (approved October 24, 2007-custom)
- Undergraduate Admissions (approved March 25, 2015); see also Registrar
- Warehouse/Supply (approved April 20, 2012)
Printed Retention Schedules